History of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs

The Chaîne des Rôtisseurs is an international gastronomic society founded in Paris in 1950. It is devoted to promoting fine dining and preserving the friendship and pleasures of the table.

The Chaîne is originally based on the traditions and practices of the old French royal guild of goose roasters or “Les Oyers”. The written history of the guild of goose roasters has been traced back to the year 1248. At that time King Louis IX, later to be Saint Louis assigned the provost of Paris with the task of bringing order into the organization of trades and guilds, developing young apprentices and improving the technical knowledge of guild members. He gathered together the charters of more than 100 of these trades, among them the goose roasters.

Over the years, the activities and privileges of the goose roasters guild were extended to preparing and selling all kinds of meat, including poultry and venison. In 1509, some new statuses were introduced and the name of the guild was changed to “Rôtisseurs”. In 1610, the guild was granted a royal charter and its own coat of arms, which consist of two crossed turning spits and four larding needles, surrounded by flames of the hearth on a shield.

For over four centuries the Confrérie or Brotherhood of the Roasters cultivated and developed culinary art and high standards of professionalism and quality standards befitting the splendor of the “Royal Table”, until the guild system was disbanded in 1793 during the French revolution.

The Rôtisseurs were almost forgotten until 1950 when Dr. Auguste Becart, Jean Valby and Prince Curnonsky (elected Prince of Gastronomes), together with chefs Louis Giraudon and Marcel Dorin resurrected the Society and created La Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs. A new logo was created by using the former historic shield in the centre, encircled with fleur-de-lis and two chains, between which the new name of the Society and the foundation dates of 1248 and 1950 were written. The inner chain represents the professional members; the outer chain the non-professional members and the bond, which unites all of the members.

Since its rebirth, the society has grown dramatically, spreading its influence and presence, with approximately 25 thousand professional and non-professional members in some 80 countries around the world.

The membership of the Chaîne offers the opportunity for new members to meet people who share a common interest in fine dining and good fellowship.

The International Head Quarters (Siège Mondial) remains in Paris where the society was founded and at present the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs is still based on the traditions and practices of the ancient French brotherhood, but in a truly international and contemporary context.



Chaîne des Rôtisseurs - International and National Offices